It’s Canada Day, WOO HOO!
So let’s celebrate with some fun facts about our home and native land, shall we!?
Here we go, eh!
1. It’s all thanks to a little bear from Canada that inspired Winnie The Pooh
2. Canada officially got its own national flag on February 15, 1965 — almost 100 years after it became a country (in 1867).
3. No cows in Canada are given artificial hormones for milk production. Which means no dairy products, like milk, cheese, or yogurt, produced in Canada contain hormones either!
4. Kraft Dinner (“KD”) is the top-selling grocery item in the country. Canadians consume 55% more than Americans do. But Americans don’t call it “KD”, they call it “mac n cheese”
5. Canadians say sorry so much because of this: We have an “Apology Act.” It allows an apology in court to be a sign of compassion and empathy, not guilt.
6. Canada’s post office receives millions of letters addressed to “Santa Claus, North Pole” each year. They respond to each one as Mrs. Claus. They’ve claimed the address “Santa Claus, North Pole, H0H 0H0.”
7. An Ontario man invented Hawaiian pizza.
8. Alberta is the only region in the entire world free of Norwegian rats.
9. Studies find Canadians to be the second-happiest people in the world. And they’re only getting happier!
10. Peanut Butter. Probably one of the most important food innovations of all time. First patented by Canadian Marcellus Gilmore Edson in 1884.
11. We Have the World’s Safest Highways (for Animals). There are million-dollar highway overpasses in Banff National Park which have been used by grizzly and black bears, wolves, coyotes, cougars, moose, elk, deer, bighorn sheep, wolverine and lynx.
12. Ketchup Chips. Coffee Crisp. Harvest Crunch. No further explanation is necessary.
13. We invented the Ceasar. The drink, not the salad.
14. Cheddar is the most popular cheese in Canada. On average Canadians consume 23.4 pounds per person annually. Cheese keeps us warm.
15. There are more doughnut shops in Canada per capita than any other country. Go Tim Hortons Go!
HAPPY CANADA DAY, MY LOVELIES! Don’t stumble over too many beavers today, get too many cavities from drinking syrup, forget to tie up your Moose, choke on your poutine, BUT do celebrate with a beer or four!!