I’m in a baking mooooooood today!!!! My pup, Ernie, is sick today so being the overprotective PupMama that I am, I am sticking around the house today to keep an eye on the poor guy. That’s the only excuse that I need to put on my baking pants!
With the four brown bananas in our fruit bowl, I already whipped up some banana muffins. My Mom was famous for her muffins and I try to replicate hers the best that I can. She was known as the Muffin Lady by a few of my friends growing up… every Saturday morning she would whip up muffins and the banana ones were always my favourite (her blueberry ones are a very close second…) The muffins are so moist, soft and delicious…. every bite you get a mouthful of banana muffin, chocolate chips, coconut and raisins! Does it get better than that!?
I’m also slow cooking a teriyaki, pineapple chicken dish that I am winging and plan to serve it with steamed broccoli, rice and a salad to start. On a Wednesday night! We rarely ate like this mid-week in Canada! John offered to BBQ some big, fat juicy pork chops that are currently marinating, but I have an inkling he’ll get home late tonight and the last thing he’ll want to do is go up to the rooftop to BBQ.
Now… to the good stuff! Last time I was at the grocery store, I checked the ingredients in graham crackers and was disgusted. I don’t remember why I picked up the box in the first place, but that’s beside the point. Why does there need to be so much garbage in crackers!? These are the ingredients in the store bought ones:
Is it really necessary to have hydrogenated cottonseed oil, soybean oil, calcium phosphate, artificial flavour, and soy lecithin in simple crackers? I didn’t think so… so I made my own. With real ingredients that you have in your cupboards! I googled a few recipes and this is the recipe that I blended together:
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1.5 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup brown sugar (Trader Joe’s brown sugar is my absolute fave)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (mine was quite “heaping”)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup water
- A pour of molasses… I probably used 1/3 cup but I like the taste of molasses
- Mix together flours, sugar, salt, cinnamon and baking soda. Add butter chunks and mix until the mixture has turned to coarse crumbs… a couple minutes or so. Should be pretty crumbly at this point
- Add in honey, water and as much molasses as your heart desires. Mix until all blended in together and forms easily into a ball of dough.
- Roll dough between two large pieces of parchment until ¼ inch thick. I used a pizza cutter to cut into rectangles but you can use cookie cutters too. Place crackers on a parchment lined baking sheet. Re-roll remaining dough until all of dough is used up.
- Bake at 350ºF for 15-20 minutes, until slightly darkened around edges (they will harden as they cool). Remove crackers to a wire wrack to cool.
- Devour as s’mores, spread pb or chocolate on top, or just eat them plain jane!
Hope you enjoy them as much or “s’more” than we are!